Saturday, November 21, 2009

Ironman Arizona 2009 Race Plan

Ironman Arizona 2009 Race Plan

This Sunday is the day. The day I've been training for since December '08. In some ways I can't wait for the start of the race, can't wait for the return to non-triathlon activities, but in others I can't believe it's already here. I've been in Tempe for a day and a half and am trying to soak it all up. As a friend said "Ironman is Disney World for adults"

Race day Plan:

Pre-Race
Wake up at 2 AM and chug an Odwalla High Protein Smoothy and get back to sleep for another 2hrs. Up at 4 to shower/shave and eat a bowl of Cheerios w/whey and coffee.

Swim
Get in the water and get used to to the temp and try to loosen up my arms some. I'm not an overly strong swimmer so I'm going to place myself mid-back and count the strokes. It's a straight 2.4mi swim so just focus on form and let the distance take care of itself.

Bike
On the bike drink 3hr bottle of Infinit from seat tube, gulp every 5-10min, and water as thirsty from aero bottle. Refill the aero bottle at every aid station no matter how low it is, take 2-4 Enduralytes an hour as needed, and pick up second Infinit bottle from Special Needs for second half of the ride. Follow the EN power pacing from chart and to hell with what everyone else is doing!

Bike Pacing:
GearIronman Wattage Guidance
Max
1st0-.5hrs, slight downhillsGW - 5%144
2ndGoal Watts (GW)GW152
3rdLong hills (>~3')GW + 5%159
4thShort hills (<~1-2')GW + 10%167


Run
On the run drink Infinit Run Mix and water at each aid station and walk for just long enough to take in the nutrition. Follow the EN run pacing based on VDot and try to hold that pace at mile 18. The plan is to walk for 30 steps/seconds after each aide station to reset the heart rate and give my body a bit of a break. If I'm feeling great then maybe after mile 20 see if I can't add a little something to the pace. After mile 18, start counting the people passed (roadkill) but jog the chute. You only have one first IM. :)

Run Pacing:
MilesHalf Ironman VDot GuidancePace
0-6Recovery Pace + 30sec10:00
6-18Recovery Pace
9:26
18-26Recovery Pace (maybe)
9:26
26-26.2Whatever I have left!
xx:xx

No comments:

Post a Comment