Friday, November 6, 2009

Race Rehearsal IMAZ Raundas 2

This is my second, and last, attempt at a Race Rehearsal. The idea is to mimic everything you will eat, wear, and do on race day to minimize the number of surprises that pop up and get used to any new equipment. After the rehearsal I'll write a report the same as a race report and review with my coaches to create a complete race plan.

Saturday 11/7

Weather: High 63-70 / Low 52 deg, Sunny, hazy, windy. Wind from the West/SouthWest around 21mph with gusts up to 30.

Breakfast Plan:
Wake up at 2am: Drink an Odwalla or Ensure
Get up at 6:00 am: 1cup Multi-grain Cheerio's + scoop of whey and a Cup o' Joe


Bike
Course:
Ride 6hrs or 112 miles mostly on the Chicago lakefront bike path. The ride to/from the bike path will make for a great warm-up and cool down but I am concerned that the path will be busy Saturday. This is the first nice Saturday we've had in a month and probably the last one of the year. I'm viewing this as a positive though. Hopefully it will get me a little more accustomed to riding on a busy race course.

Bike Setup:
Three Bottles plus Aero Bottle
One bottle of concentrated Infinit with 750cal
Aero Bottle filled with water plus two water bottles in rear seat cage (will remove cage for the actual race)
Will bike home to grab replacement water bottles and Infinit bottle for second loop
No race wheel on the front but I'm riding with my rear disk
Areo helmet

Bike Plan:
Start Time: 6:30 AM
End Time: 12:30 PM
Total Time: 6:00 hours

Power & Gearing:
The bike portion of the race is based on wattage. The wattage numbers below are based on the number of Watts I'm able to sustain for a 60 minute time trial. That's 60 minutes all out, pushing yourself until you are dry-heaving. Over the summer I had a higher number but for various reasons I've lost a bit of that speed. It sux but there's nothing I can do about it now.

Current FTP: 222 watts
Goal IF: 69%
Goal TSS: 286
Race Gears:
1st - 144w - This is my target for the first hour
2nd- 152w - These are the target Watts for the race
3rd - 159w - Wattage for any hills that take longer than 3 minutes to climb
4th - 167w - Wattage for any hills that take less than 3 minutes to climb


Nutrition/Hydration:
Infinit
250 cal/hr
~600mg Na/hr
6 hr = 1500 cal
2 Bottles at 750 cal/bottle
Endurolytes 1 - 4/hr depending on race day heat

Run
Course:
Two loops of a 3 mile run through my neighborhood which includes a couple Chicago "Hills". From what I hear about the IMAZ course, these should mimic what I'll encounter pretty accurately.

Run Setup:
Shoes
Socks
Garmin
Gloves?
Visor
Fuel Belt with bottle of 1hr Infinit (not a concentrate for this workout because there are no water fountains on this path)
Endurolytes (1 - 4/hr depending on heat)

Run Plan
Current VDot: 44
Run 6 miles @ 9:26 (Zone 1) + 30 = 9:56 rounded to 10:00 for ease
VDOT is a measurement of an athletes ability to run fast. It's used as a predictor of run performance at various distances and takes into account more than a VO2 test would.

1 comment: